Zoom is a web-based video conferencing tool that allows users to meet online, with or without video. Zoom offers quality video, audio, and a wireless screen-sharing performance across Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Blackberry, Zoom Rooms, and H.323/SIP room systems.
Zoom users can choose to record sessions, collaborate on projects, and share on one another’s screens, all with one easy-to-use platform. If you are younger than 16, you aren’t eligible to make a Zoom account unless it’s for school. Sign up Zoom account on PC and mobile device with the steps listed below.
How to Register Zoom
How to Sign Up Zoom On PC Device
- Visit Zoom’s signup page.
- Enter your date of birth.
- At the top of the page, you can enter your email in the box labeled “Your work email address” which could also be your personal email should work fine.
- Click on the “Sign in with Google” or “Sign in with Facebook” buttons, after which you just download the Zoom desktop app.
- If you entered an email, Zoom will send an activation email to that address.
- Click the “Activate Account” button in the email or copy and paste the activation URL into your browser to activate your account.
- On the page that opens up in your web browser, you’ll next be asked if you’re signing up on behalf of a school. Assuming you aren’t, click the “No” button and then click “Continue.”
- On the next page, fill in your first and last name and a password in the spaces provided.
- On the next page, you can invite other people to create a free Zoom account via email. You can skip this step if you want.
- You’ll be given a link to your personal meeting URL and will have the option to click an orange “Start Meeting Now” button to start a test meeting.
- Copy that URL into your browser or click that orange button, you should be prompted to download the Zoom desktop app. Follow the prompts to install the app.
- After you’ve installed the Zoom app, you’ll see buttons to “Join a Meeting” or “Sign In.”
- Click “Sign In” to start your test meeting
- Enter the email and password you just used to sign up for Zoom in your browser on the next screen.
- If you registered using the “Sign in with Google” or “Sign in with Facebook” buttons, click those buttons here and follow the prompts.
- After sign in, on your Home tab, click on the orange “New Meeting” button in the Zoom app. Your meeting will start.
How to Sign Up Zoom On iOS Device
- Download the iOS or Android app.
- Click on “Sign Up.”
- You’ll next be asked to confirm your age.
- Enter your email address, and your first and last name.
- An activation email will be sent to you once you Sign Up.
- Click on “Activate Account” button in the email you receive, or copy and paste the activation URL into your mobile browser.
- Complete the same steps outlined above to make an account, just from your mobile browser.
- Once you get to the screen that has your personal Zoom meeting URL and orange “Start Meeting Now” button, tap either and you’ll be taken directly to a waiting room for your test meeting in the Zoom app.
- Click on “Sign In” button at the bottom of the screen to open the meeting.
- On the next page, enter your login information and tap the “Sign In” button.
Your test meeting will open up in the app.
How to Invite People to Your Zoom Meeting
Start inviting people to your Zoom meeting, once you have an account.
- Go to your desktop app
- Click the “Copy Invitation” button on the screen, a message with your Zoom meeting’s URL, ID, and phone dial-in information will be copied to your clipboard that you can drop in an email or a text message.
- On the mobile app, when you tap the “Send Invitation” button, you’ll be presented with two options: “Send Message,” which will let you text your meeting URL to someone; or “Copy to Clipboard,” which will copy your Zoom meeting’s URL and meeting ID to your phone’s clipboard.
You can also invite people to your meeting while you’re already in it:
- On the desktop app, on the toolbar that shows up when you move your mouse in the meeting window, click the little arrow in the “Participants” button, and then click “Invite.”
- When you do, Zoom will open a window where you can invite your Zoom contacts, send an email with information on how to access your Zoom meeting, copy your meeting URL to your clipboard, or copy a longer message with your meeting URL and dial-in information to your clipboard. You can also find your meeting’s password in this menu.
- On the mobile app, tap “Participants” on the bottom row of icons and then tap the “Invite” button on the bottom of the next screen. When you do, you’ll be able to send a text message invite, invite your Zoom contacts, or copy the meeting URL to your phone’s clipboard.
- One thing to keep in mind — to help keep your account secure, you probably shouldn’t share your personal meeting ID with others. If you can, schedule meetings in advance using Zoom’s scheduling tool, and have that tool generate a unique meeting ID for each meeting. Here’s our guide on how to do that. Keeping your meetings secure can help prevent “Zoombombings,” which is when trolls take over your Zoom meetings.
- Once you’re up and running on Zoom, make sure to check also out our guides for how to find keyboard shortcuts, change your Zoom background (here are a few free backgrounds you can use), and record your Zoom calls.
How to Share Screen On Zoom
- Zoom allows users to share their screen to the entire conference call. To do so, simply click “Share Screen” at the bottom of the window.
Note: Only one person can use screen-share at a time, and one person must “Stop Sharing” before someone else can start sharing.
- To stop sharing the screen, simply click “Stop Sharing.”
Feel free to Share the page link on Social media for others to see. You can also leave a comment if you have any question or anything to say on the comment box below.