LinkedIn is a social networking site designed specifically for the business community. The goal of the site is to allow registered members to establish and document networks of people they know and trust professionally.
Steps To Register LinkedIn Account
- Go to the LinkedIn homepage at LinkedIn.com to start filling the form and initiate the account creation.
- Click on Join LinkedIn Now, a form appears for you to input your name, valid email address and your choice of password.
- Enter your real name in the space provided, also enter your email, the email should be valid in other to allow you confirm your account, input your choice of password (one you can remember easily).
- After filling this form click Join Now and the first form is submitted, hence popping up the second form for you.
- On the second form which is a little bigger than the first form.
- On this form, you are meant to fill your basic profile info.
- The entry box’s options there are based on the employment status you choose.
- Enter your geographic location.
- Enter your company name if you are employed, and your current position in the company in the field for Job Title.
- Click Create My Profile after filling every field provided.
- After the above step, LinkedIn will suggest a list of friends you already know but you can skip this step if you wish to.
- Confirm your email.
- Click on the button that says “Send Confirmation Email Instead”.
- You will do this by login into your mailbox, click on the message sent by LinkedIn.
- When you click on the link it will take you back to LinkedIn and you will be asked to click another confirm button and then you can sign in with the password you created earlier.
- You will get a Thank You and You’re Almost Done message.
- A box will also appear telling you to put the email of your friends to connect with them, you can as well skip this process.
- Lastly, the final step to creating your LinkedIn account is to select your plan level. This is choosing whether you will be using a free account or premium account.
What An Individual Can Do With LinkedIn
- Get back in touch with old colleagues : You can use the My Network section to find old colleagues, teachers, people you went to school with and anyone else you might think is worth having in your professional network. Just enter or connect your email to sync your contacts with LinkedIn.
- Use your profile as your resume : Your LinkedIn profile basically represents a more complete (and interactive) resume. You can include it as a link perhaps in an email or your cover letter when you apply to jobs. Some websites that allow you to apply to jobs will even allow you to connect to your LinkedIn profile to import all your information. If you need to build a resume outside of LinkedIn, there are apps for that.
- Find and apply to jobs : Remember that LinkedIn is one of the best places to look for job postings online. You’ll always get recommendations from LinkedIn about jobs you may be interested in, but you can always use the search bar to look for specific positions too.
- Find and connect with new professionals : It’s great to get back in touch with old colleagues and connect with everyone at your current workplace who may also be on LinkedIn, but what’s even better is that you have the opportunity to discover new professionals either locally or internationally that may be able to help out with your professional endeavors.
- Participate in relevant groups : A great way to meet new professionals to connect with is to join groups based on your interests or current profession and start participating. Other group members may like what they see and want to connect with you.
- Blog about what you know : LinkedIn’s very own publishing platform allows users to publish blog posts and gain the opportunity to have their content read by thousands. Published posts will also show up on your profile, which will increase your credibility in related fields that are relevant to your professional experience.
Feel free to Share the page link on Social media for others to see. You can also leave a comment if you have any question or anything to say on the comment box below.