Google Authenticator is an app that uses two-step verification software to keep your information safe by requiring an added layer of identification before allowing anyone to gain access to your accounts. Instead of simply entering a password when logging into Google apps via mobile, Google Authenticator generates a random six-digit code, which you’re required to enter in order to log in if you have two-factor verification active.
Google Authenticator app is available for both iOS and Android smartphones, scans barcodes on participating websites to create 2FA codes that serve as a second level of protection when you log in. Each site is different, but a site that works with Google Authenticator (or similar apps like Authy) will have an option to scan the barcode when setting up 2FA. You then open Google Authenticator, press the + button, and scan to add the account.
In the app, you’ll have a constantly updating 2FA code that you can use without having it texted to you. When you sign in to the account, enter that code, and voila, you’re in. Most sites will have you verify that the code in Authenticator is working before you start using it to login. The benefits of an app like Google Authenticator, besides not having an SMS message hijacked, are that you have all of the codes in a central location and that they’re available all of the time, even when your phone is offline.
Benefits Of Google Authenticator App
- It Works without Internet and Network coverage
- You can use it with Non-Google Websites
- Multiple Accounts in One Place
- Multiple Accounts in One Place
- It is EASY to use
Steps To Use Google Authenticator App
Download Google Authenticator App
- In the App Store, please type in “Google Authenticator” and search for that App.
- Click the “Get” (iPhone) or “Install” (Android) button to download the App.
- Note: You may need to update Google Services before the App will download on Android. Please wait while Google Updates and then follow below.
- Once the App is installed, please open the Google Authenticator App on your phone.
- Click the “Begin Setup” (iPhone) or “Begin” (Android) link.
How To Configure Authenticator App with Avvio
From November 28th, when an authorised PCI user logs in for the first time, they will be presented with the authentication setup screen. You must be able to see that screen to proceed with this step.
- On the authenticator app on your phone, click the “Scan a Barcode” option.
- Note: If a popup message requests access to your Camera, please allow this. This is for QR code scanning purposes
- Point your phone’s camera at the authentication screen on the Avvio system and fit the green box around the QR code showing in Step 2 to scan it to the authenticator app.
- Once scanned, a random 6 digit code will appear every 30 secs on the Authentication App on your phone. E.g.
Verify Authenticator App Setup
- Please enter the 6 digit code from your phone into the box and click “Verify Code”
- Click “Add Account” on your phone [Android only]
- You now have access to retrieve credit card information from Reservations.
How To Recover Card Details
- On Reservations Via The Google Authenticator App
- On your PC, open the Reservation Details page on the Avvio system for the transaction you wish to decrypt credit card details for.
- On your smartphone, open the Google Authenticator App.
- Enter the current 6 digit code showing on your phone into the authenticator box in the Card Details section of the reservation and click the “Verify code and decrypt card” button.
- Enter the security code that appears (highlighted in yellow) on the PC in the box provided and click “Send”.
- You should now see the credit card info for the relevant reservation.
Feel free to Share the page link on Social media for others to see. You can also leave a comment if you have any question or anything to say on the comment box below.