Coinbase is a global digital asset exchange company (GDAX), providing a venue to buy and sell digital currencies, as well as send information about those transactions out to the blockchain network to verify those transactions.
Coinbase serves as a wallet, too, where the digital currencies can be stored. The application operates exchanges of Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, and Litecoin, as well as other digital assets with fiat currencies in 32 countries, and Bitcoin transactions in many more countries.
According to its website, Coinbase has served over 10 million customers and facilitated the exchange of more than $50 billion worth of digital currency.
How to Create Coinbase Account
- Visit Coinbase.com
- Then click on the Sign Up button found at the top-right corner of the page.
- A form will appear on the screen for you fill
- Enter your first and last name in the spaces provided.
- You are also required to input your email address and a password in their various spaces.
- Make sure to use your real name as shown on your passport or drivers license as using an alias could delay the confirmation of your identity later on.
- Double-check that your email is written correctly as well.
- Choose your password. Make sure to use a combination of upper and lowercase letters in addition to at least one number.
- Then click on Create Account button.
- A confirmation email will now be sent to your chosen email address.
- Go to your email inbox and open the email. Click on the confirmation link sent to you which will open to a new browser window which will activate your Coinbase account.
- You will now be presented with a set of steps for confirming your identity. You can skip this for now and do it later but it is worth setting up as the more information you give them, the more cryptocurrency you’ll be allowed to buy per week and the more secure your account will become.
How to Confirm Coinbase Identity
Here’s what you’ll be asked for either from the link in the account confirmation email you would have been sent after creating your Coinbase account or in your Dashboard security settings.
- Phone Number: To confirm your phone number, select the country your number is registered in and for the number itself. After submitting this information, Coinbase will load a second webpage and will send an SMS to your mobile with a code. Enter this code in the verification field on the new page and click the blue Verify Phone Number button.
- Address: Enter your residential address after confirming your phone number in the initial account setup or in Settings > My Profile section of the Dashboard after logging in. As with other account information, it’s important to be truthful here. The Country field, in particular, is very important as it will determine which financial services you can use on Coinbase and how much you can buy or sell.
- Document Verification: Confirm your identity by sharing copies of government-approved ID such as a passport, proof of age card, or driver’s license. The requested documents will vary depending on which country you’re based in. If you skipped this option initially, you will be reminded to submit this information in your Coinbase Dashboard after logging in. You can also find the option to submit your documents via Settings > Limits.
- In the account setup, you will be shown a blue button that says Start verification. Press it to begin the process.
- After beginning the document verification process, you will be given a choice of two to three document types. Click on the one that you wish to use such as your passport or drivers license.
- The next screen will have a camera feature that will enable your device’s webcam. Hold your ID in front of your webcam and press the Take snapshot button to take a photo of it.
- A preview of the photo taken will soon display on the page. If the photo is clear and shows your face and all of the necessary text, press the Finish & start verification button. If you want to redo your photo, simply press the Take another snapshot button to try again. You can try as many times as you like. Coinbase can take several days to over a week to verify your submitted document.
Feel free to Share the page link on Social media for others to see. You can also leave a comment if you have any question or anything to say on the comment box below.